Tuesday, September 11, 2007

A Pet, at Last!

Howdy ya’ll..........enough of the hick accent, lets move on. Most of you know that for the last 9 months or so, I have wanted a hamster. Originally, if I could keep my room clean, and display overall responsibility, I could get one. Everything went great….except for the clean room. And now, nine months later, my dream is finally coming true……………. Except I’m not getting a hamster. I am, in fact, getting a rat. A RAT!?!?!? Now, now, now…. Don’t get all upset or anything like that. I know most people turn their noses up at rats, but please don’t for this one. A family in our church was looking for someone to take their pet, Ratatouille. He comes with a cage, food, toys and more, and it won’t cost me a cent. Plus, according to Michelle, he is EXTREMELY cute, and loves to be held, something hamsters don’t appreciate so much. So, I am willing for the reasons above to get some experience in the care and keeping of rats, and then, after his life is at an end, I can decide if I am up for getting a new rodent companion, or am not quite ready to have a pet in my room. If you still wonder why on earth I am going to get a rat, then obviously you are not a rodent lover, and can’t be reasoned with under any circumstances. I pity you. Tootles!

6 comments:

Hol said...

Haha! That's exactly what happened to me a handful of years ago. My brother and I begged mom for a hamster and we ended up getting a rat from someone moving away. We've had pet rats ever since. =D
They are so much more fun and intelligent than hamsters, trust me. And they don't bite nearly as often. You should meet Peanut sometime :)

Pops said...

Agreed! Rats are great pets as long as you have only one.

Imperial said...

That's great Catie! All we have is a rabbit, and I personally would rather have a rat.

Megan @ SimplyThrifty said...

When I worked at the pet store, I would ALWAYS try to sell a rat over a hamster. Hamster's are noctural and keep you up all night...rats don't. Rats are also very intelligent and trainable...hamsters, not so much. Hamsters also bite a lot whereas rats hardly ever. The only time I was ever bitten was when I was cleaning out a cage with a momma and babies. Best wishes with your rat! I'm sure you'll love him. Just don't let Jinx or Squiggy love on him.

Stephanie said...

I am glad you are excited about it - I am not a rat fan, but if you are excited, then that is all that matters :)

atalie said...

our freinds from when i was really little had pet rats and they would always try to poop on me. or run away and hide under furmature, but i think those rats were a little abused and freaked out. i hope your rat is not like that! i would love 2 see her sometime though!